Jingle bells, big turkeys and too many food coma's are coming; the season to be jolly is finally there! If you want to shake up your traditional Christmas dinner with something lighter, but still incredibly festive and delicious, this might be your winning recipe. I tried it out on some friends for the first Christmas dinner of December and it was such a success, I had to share it with you guys. If you try them at home, make sure to tag @protogofoods so we can enjoy your creations too :)
Ingredients for 12 salmon cakes* :
- 4 x 120g salmon filet with skin
- 50g panko
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 red onion, finely diced, sautéed in butter/olive oil
- 60g frozen peas
- 45g light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Worcester Sauce
- 10g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- butter/olive oil
- Preheat oven on 200C and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Season salmon with salt and pepper and place salmon skin-side up (makes it easier to peel the skin off) on the tray. Bake for 15min or until thoroughly cooked.
- Set aside to cool down.
- Fry the finely diced red onion in some butter/olive oil*
- Peel skin of salmon and place salmon filets in a big mixing bowl. Use a fork to tear the salmon-meat apart, until it's flaked. Add the onions.
- Defrost peas in microwave and add them too.
- Then add 3 eggs, the mayonnaise, panko, pepper, salt, flat leaf parsley and Worcester sauce to the same mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Make 12 patties.
- In a frying pan heat some butter (or combo of olive oil and butter) and fry the patties, 4 or 5 at a time.
- Remove from pan when crispy on both sides.
- Little gem hearts from the oven and pasta with avocado-pesto (as on the pictures). Recipe for avocado pesto will be up on the blog soon :)
- Mixed green veggies (broccoli, fine green beans, mangetout, tenderstem,...)
- Quinoa and a salad
- Options are endless! Just remember to adjust the serving size depending on the sides you choose!
Nutritional values per salmon cake:
Carbs (sugars): 5.1g (0.28g)
Fat (saturated): 6.6g (1.5g)
Enjoy xxx Val